Founded in 1996 by Matt Heaton, Bluehost is one of the top twenty largest web hosts. Together with its sister companies, HostMonster and FastDomain, Bluehost hosts over 1.9 million domains. Bluehost puts a premium on customer service, and most hold times are less than 30 seconds. Headquartered in Utah, Bluehost has two secondary data centers, and a nationwide fiber network.
Prices start at:
Promotional pricing starts at $3.49/mo for professional, instant web hosting. Includes unlimited email, unlimited data storage, unlimited domain hosting, network bandwidth and MySQL databases; no setup fee; domain registration free for one year.
The BlueHost Blog notes network outages and what the team at BlueHost did to fix the problems. However BlueHost does not have either a reported uptime or an SLA.
Site Builder Tools:
BlueHost has over 60 1-click installation scripts, including WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Roundcube, Zen Cart, phpBB, PrestaShop, and Concrete5. BlueHost also uses Weebly, a powerful site creator with videos and pictures.
Editor's Bottom Line:
BlueHost has the usual offering of shared, virtual, and dedicated hosting, as well as tools to get you started. But BlueHost doesn't have enough niche features, powerful tools, sales, or service guarantees to stand out from the pack.
Available Services & Products:
- Standard Shared: Unlimited email accounts; unlimited storage; 50,000 file count, unlimited network bandwidth; 1 year free domain registration; unlimited MxSQL database; 1,000 database tables; no setup free; $8.99 for 12-mo term/$7.99 for 24-mo term/$6.99 36-mo term.
- Pro Shared: Unlimited email accounts; unlimited storage; 300,000 file count; unlimited bandwidth; unlimited domain hosting; free domain registration for life; domain privacy; dedicated IP; SSL certificate; unlimited MySQL database; 3,000 database tables; free setup; $24.99 for 12-, 24-, or 36-month term.
- Standard VPS Hosting - $29.99/mo: Single Core CPU; 2 GB RAM; 30 GB disk space; 1 TB/mo; free domain name; 1 dedicated IP; CentOS 6.4 (64-bit).
- Enhanced VPS Hosting - $59.99/mo: Dual Core CPU; 4 GB RAM; 60 GB disk space; 2 TB/mo; free domain names; 2 dedicated IPs; CentOS 6.4 (64-bit).
- Premium VPS Hosting - $89.99/mo: Triple Core CPU; 6 GB RAM; 120 GB disk space; 3 TB/mo; free domain name; 2 dedicated IPs; CentOS 6.4 (64-bit).
- Ultimate VPS Hosting - $119.99/mo: Quad Core CPU; 8 GB RAM; 240 GB disk space; 4 TB/mo; free domain name; 2 dedicated IPs; CentOS 6.4 (64-bit).
- Standard Dedicated Hosting - $149.99/mo: Dual core, 2.3 GHz Intel® Xeon Processor; 4 GB RAM; 2 x 500 GB HDD Disk space; 5 TB/month; free domain name; 3 Dedicated IPs; CentOS 6.4 (64-bit).
- Enhanced Dedicated Hosting - $199/mo: Quad core, 2.5 GHz Intel® Xeon Processor; 8 GB RAM; 2 x 1TB GB HDD disk space; 10 TB/mo; free domain name; 4 dedicated IPs; CentOS 6.4 (64-big).
- Premium Dedicated Hosting - $249.99/mo: Quad core, 3.3 GHz Intel® Xeon Processor; 16 GB RAM; 2 x 1 TB HDD disk space; 15 TB/month; free domain name; 5 dedicated IPs, CentOS 6.4 (64-bit).